Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Crispy Fried Pork Chops

My wife, daughter, and I just had these for dinner tonight, so I figure I ought to share this with all of you.

Ingredients:
  • 3 - 4 lbs pork chops - I used center cut bone-in, but I just buy whatever's on sale
  • 2.5 cups soy flour - I prefer organic soy flour, but I've had a hard time finding it lately
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 0.5 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 0.25 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 0.25 cups heavy cream
  • Enough frying fat to cover the bottom of the pan with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil - I used rendered chicken fat, but lard or tallow would work great too. I would only use vegetable oils if you have no other choice. Please don't use vegetable shortening it is hydrogenated and no one should be eating it.
Directions:
  1. Add your fat to a deep skillet and heat over medium heat until the oil is hot. The oil should be somewhat thin, but not smoking.
  2. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
  3. Combine eggs and cream in a dish that is large enough to dip your pork chops in.
  4. Combine dry ingredients in another dish large enough to dip your pork chops in.
  5. Dip each pork chop into the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients, then the dry ingredients. When moving from wet to dry, let the excess egg wash drip off the pork chop before dipping in dry ingredients again.
  6. Gently shake the excess breading off the pork chop.
  7. Place the dipped pork chop into the hot oil carefully. Be careful not to drop the pork chop causing the hot oil to splash.
  8. Fry each chop until is dark brown on the bottom, then gently turn over. Again, be careful not to splash the hot oil.
  9. Fry until the new bottom side is dark brown, then remove from the pan and place on baking sheet or broiler pan.
  10. When all chops have been fried, put the the baking sheet or broiler pan in the preheated oven. Bake chops for 10 - 20 minutes. Thicker chops or bone-in chops will take longer than thinner or boneless chops. My chops were bone-in and about 3/4 inch thick, they baked for 20 minutes.
If you don't care for or can't find soy flour, I imagine you could use almond flour. I haven't tried it yet. I've tried coconut flour, but that turned out to be a little grainy tasting.

So, what are you waiting for? Get your oil heated up and start frying!

If you try this, let me know how it turned out and what, if anything, you tried that was different.

Cheers,
Alex

PS. Don't fear the fat! It's what makes these chops sooooo tasty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am soooo making this the next chance I get!