Thursday, February 12, 2009

OMG....Pan fried pork chops, wow!

Much to my chagrin, I've posted this recipe before, but I've got some changes to this one that weren't in my previous post. Plus I decided to post it because I had already spent a bunch of time typing it up. :)

Ingredients
  • 3-4 lbs bone-in pork chops
  • 2 cups fava bean/garbanzo bean flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp basil
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • Enough oil of animal fat to cover the bottom of a large skillet with about a 1/4 inch of oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Heat fat over medium heat
  3. In a bowl large enough for your largest pork chop, combine the flour, spices, and parmesan cheese and use a fork to mix thoroughly.
  4. In another bowl large enough for your largest pork chop, whisk your cream and eggs until blended.
  5. Your oil should be quite hot, but not smoking.
  6. Dip each pork chop into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, let the excess egg mixture drain off, then dip in the flour mixture.
  7. Shake the excess flour mixture off the pork chop and then gently put in the hot oil. Tongs or a fork are good for this, but BE CAREFUL. Hot oil burns are very serious and make sure you don't "drop" your food in the oil.
  8. Cook pork chop until dark golden brown on one side and then CAREFULLY turn over. Cook that side till dark golden brown and then remove from the pan and place on a cookie sheet or broiler pan.
  9. Once all your chops have been pan-fried, place your cookie sheet or broiler pan on the bottom rack of the oven for about 10 minutes or until the pink is gone from your pork chops.
  10. Enjoy!
I use a fava/garbanzo flour combo made by Bob's Red Mill. I don't know how many carbs are in it and I don't care. It's lower carb and (IMHO) better for you than a grain based flower.

I've also made these with soy flour and almond flour, but I feel the best about the fava flour. Taste wise, the fava or soy flours are the best.

If you have any questions, drop me a line. BTW, sorry for the redundancy, I just really enjoyed these for dinner and I wanted to share with everyone.

Good night!

Alex

2 comments:

Former Donut Junkie said...

Well, Alex these chops sound great. One of our local stores often has chops on sale at a great deal and I love them pan fried. However, your recipe is much spicier which I like better. I'm all about spices!

I've always just used the almond meal as it is so low in carbs [3g net carbs per 1/4 cup], but Bob's Red Mill also makes a "Low-Carb Baking Mix" which is 6g net carbs per 1/4 cup] which would probably have much better flavor than the almond meal. By the way, the Garbanzo/Fav Flour is 12g net carbs per 1/4 cup, but as you said, even at that it's light years ahead of white flour!

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. So glad to see your LC posts again!

Ron, aka The Former Donut Junkie

Alex said...

Thanks FDJ,

While I don't know much about Bob's "Low-Carb Baking Mix", I'm usually a bit disappointed by low-carb baking mixes because they still use white flour, but do something that they claim reduces the digestibility or the glycemic impact of the carbs.

I guess I think the almond meal or the bean flour is a much better choice.

Let me know if you try this recipe. I love to hear back from people on how they tweak things to make it their own.

Alex