Saturday, February 7, 2009

Flourless Fudgy Chocolate Cake

Since Valentine's Day is coming, you need something in your arsenal of recipes to make sure that while everyone else is pigging out on high sugar chocolates you get some super special treat for yourself and, if you feel the need to share, that someone special.

Last Valentine's Day when my wife and I were in the process of getting back on the LC wagon, I knew that she and I didn't want her to be let down that she couldn't have chocolate on Valentine's Day.

I got this recipe from LowCarbLuxury.com but I've been having intermittent trouble with their URL recently, so I'll go ahead and share it with you here.

This is one recipe you'll want to add to your bank of safety nets to keep you going low-carb when you're dying for something super-chocolaty.

Ingredients:
  • 8oz baking chocolate (unsweetened)
  • 1 c unsalted butter
  • 6 eggs (medium or large)
  • 3/4 c sucralose (Splenda)
  • 1/4 c erythritol (a natural low-carb sweetener)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c boiling water
Directions:
  1. Put chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for roughly 2 minutes or until butter is melted and chocolate is beginning to melt. Better to be a little under than a little over here. You don't want to burn your chocolate.
  2. Using a wire whisk or a spoon, stir the butter and chocolate mixture until almost completely blended.
  3. Combine the boiling water with the salt, sucralose, and erythritol. Mix until completely dissolved.
  4. Add the water mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until completely smooth
  5. Add eggs to the chocolate water mixture one at a time and whisk until completely combined.
  6. Pour batter into greased 10 inch cake pan and bake in water bath in 300 F oven for 35-40 minutes or until set. I actually make mine in miniature cake pans by Wilton and bake for about 20 minutes.
  7. Enjoy warm from the oven or cool and them later.
This recipe is super-chocolaty, but not super-sweet, which I'm happy about. Since it is so chocolaty, I find it's best served with some fresh homemade whipped cream or some low-carb ice cream.

You'll have to try these both ways to find out but I think I like them best cold with whipped cream. They have a fudgy texture when cold or if you heat this in the microwave for thirty seconds before serving, they become very melty and creamy.

If you have any questions on preparation, let me know. I've made this more times than I can count and I always eat some fresh and freeze the rest for later.

Alex

PS. If you're not up for trying something experimental, you could always try my original one and only chocolate cupcake recipe that I posted a while back. Make sure you read the comments though, because I changed the recipe a bit after some feedback I got.

No comments: