Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cauliflower "Rice" - Plain

One of the things to do when you adopt a healthy low-carb lifestyle is to make sure that you can still eat some of your old favorites without sacrificing your health and to try to find some healthy substitutes for food that may otherwise thwart your attempts to lose weight and be healthy.

You may not have loved cauliflower before you started low-carb, I didn't, but trust me when I tell you that you will learn that it is a wonderful substitute for all kinds of things from rice to rice pilaf to mashed potatoes, you can even use it to make pizza.

This is hardly a recipe, it's really just some directions for how to turn a head of cauliflower or a bag of frozen cauliflower into a substitute for a bowl of plain white rice. Once you've got your rice, you can top it with whatever you want.

Whether you've got frozen cauliflower florets or fresh cauliflower you should get equally good results. As you experiment, see if you have a preference. Frozen tends to be cheaper and, of course, has a longer shelf life. The quality of fresh seems to be better sometimes, so I get that when it's a good deal.

Enough with the chit chat, it's time for some directions.

Fresh Cauliflower:
  1. Cut off the stalk and the green stuff that's attached.
  2. Cut the head of cauliflower into 1.5" chunks. Don't worry about being exact, I'm just trying to give you some idea of how to cut it. If you've seen the size of frozen florets, that's about what you're looking for.
  3. Rinse the chunks of cauliflower with cold water.
  4. Put a steamer basket in a pan of water. The water should come up just to the bottom of the steamer basket.
  5. Put the cauliflower chunks in the steamer basket and put the pot over high heat, covered.
  6. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower begins to separate easily when a fork is inserted. When making cauliflower rice, it's better to under-cook than over-cook.
  7. Turn off the burner and remove the the pot from the heat.
  8. Drain the cauliflower and put it back in the pot.
  9. Put the pot back on the burner (but the burner better be off).
  10. Mash the cauliflower with a potato masher until it resembles the consistency of rice. Don't over-mash.
Frozen Cauliflower Florets:
  1. Put a steamer basket in a pan of water. The water should come up just to the bottom of the steamer basket.
  2. Heat the water boiling.
  3. Put the cauliflower florets in the steamer basket and cover.
  4. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower begins to separate easily when a fork is inserted. When making cauliflower rice, it's better to under-cook than over-cook.
  5. Turn off the burner and remove the the pot from the heat.
  6. Drain the cauliflower and put it back in the pot.
  7. Put the pot back on the burner (but the burner better be off).
  8. Mash the cauliflower with a potato masher until it resembles the consistency of rice. Don't over-mash.
So there's your basic cauliflower rice recipe.

I'll post some other cauliflower recipes at some point, but this will be enough to get you started.

My next recipe will use this, so I wanted to put it up first.

Cheers,
Alex

PS. Don't fear the fat! (but you won't find any in this recipe, so you'll need to add some)

3 comments:

Former Donut Junkie said...

Well, I'm not from New England but I still like your blog! Nice recipes and articles. You popped up on my Google search alert I use to monitor low-carb articles. I've lost 50+ pounds on low-carb in the past 15 months. You've been added to my blog reader. If you would like to be added to my Life Without Donuts blogroll, which is low-carb oriented, just let me know. Thanks for helping spread the low-carb message.

Alex said...

FDJ,

I'm glad to have you on board. I'm pretty sure I've spotted you on Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Low Carb Blog
and on The Lighter Side of Low-Carb.
I'd love to be added to your Life Without Donuts blogroll. In case you don't see this, I'll drop you an email too.

I'm really excited to be part of spreading the low-carb message on the internet. I've been spreading the message in person for a few years now, but I realized my area of influence would ultimately be too small to have the effect I wanted. So I moved to the internet.

I don't care if you're not from New England, it's not your fault. ;)

I really started with New England in mind, because I wanted to be a tangible resource for people in my area as well as having a presence on the internet.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Cheers,
Alex

Alex said...

®